Big Sleep Out - December 7th
Rose Bowl, USA
The Los Angeles event will take place at the Rose Bowl on the 7th December 2019. 100% of the funds raised from this event will go towards registered charities helping homeless and displaced people.
The on-stage performances include a bedtime story read by Seth Green along with very special sets from Ziggy Marley, Ellie Goulding, Randy Jackson and Sean Kingston among others. Global line-up can be found here.
MC’s for the evening are Dorothy Lucey, Steve Edwards and Jillian Barberie of #okLA
If you would like to get in touch regarding the event, please email us at [email protected]
will support the local organisations in Los Angeles.
will go towards supporting people displaced internationally.
Local Charity Beneficiaries
Charity On Top
Charity On Top is an innovative ecosystem for individuals and companies who want to genuinely infuse meaningful, personal charitable giving into their daily lives and work. Through charity gift cards, philanthropic consulting and benefits for over 1.8 million charities, Charity On Top is intentionally disrupting how we think about nonprofit giving, and pushing more money to organizations to help solve our greatest challenges.
UNICEF USA is The World's Big Sleep Out's partner and all funds raised in the United States will be donated to UNICEF USA who will support us in distributing 50% of the funds raised to local charities helping people affected by homelessness in your town or city and distributing the other 50% to support children and families who are displaced internationally.
The Rose Bowl, 1001 Rose Bowl Dr, Pasadena, CA 91103, Los Angeles
Can I leave and re-enter the Sleep Out?
You are free to leave the event at any time, however, there is No re-entry upon leaving the event.
How do I volunteer?
• Limited volunteer spots are available; if you are interested in volunteering, please email [email protected] to be added to the list.
• Participating in the event is considered volunteer service! Bring your volunteer hours form to the Charity On Top booth in the morning for a signature!
What will the funds raised in Los Angeles support?
• 100% of funds raised go towards charitable organizations
• Half the funds raised will support international partners Malala Fund, UNICEF USA, the Institute of Global Homelessness and Social Bite
• Half the funds raised will support the following Los Angeles organizations: o Downtown Women’s Center o New Directions for Vets o San Fernando Valley Rescue Mission o The Los Angeles Mission o The People Concern o United Way Greater Los Angles o West Coast Care o Youth Emerging Stronger o Unionstationhs.org
Can you fundraise as a team?
• Yes, but you must first identify who should be the team captain and then have that person register and set up the team
• Then the team captain can invite other people to register through a link
• Each person sets their own fundraising goal that will roll up into an overall team fundraising goal.
Is there a minimum I need to fundraise?
There is a $20 registration fee, and we suggest that you try to raise a minimum of $1,000 per person
How do I fundraise?
• Once you register, you will have a “Just Giving” page that you can personalize and easily share with your network via social media and email
• Donations made through your page will be counted towards a fundraising goal that you will set. Register here
Is Smoking allowed at the event?
• No smoking or vaping of any kind is allowed at the event
What Shall/Can I bring with me?
There are a number of items you should bring to the WBSO event, however we encourage you to only bring what is necessary. There are a few essential items below that we must insist you bring, such as a sleeping bag, warm clothes and photo ID, without them WBSO reserves the right to ask you to leave the event for your own safety.
The following items are permitted:
• Good Quality Sleeping Bag – essential (we recommend a 3-4 season sleeping bag suitable for winter)
• Warm, layered clothing including an outdoor coat – essential
• Photo ID - essential
• Foam ground mat
• Refillable Water Bottle – HIGHLY recommended (free water available to refill)
• A small hand or head flashlight
• A bag for your trash
• Any essential medication you will need while you are at the event
• Battery-powered phone charger
DO NOT BRING... The following is not permitted at any of the World’s Big Sleep Out events:
• Smoke Bombs
• Animals (except for assistance dogs)
• Weapons, knives & firearms
• Drugs (including illegal substances; legal highs and NOS gas)
• Amplified music
• Tent/shelters or mattresses/inflatables
Saturday, Dec 7th
• Doors open at 4:30pm
• Pick your sleeping spot and lay out your sleeping bag, mat and pillow.
• Impact Village (charity booths) open from 5:00pm – 9:00pm
• Food available for purchase 6:00pm-9:00pm
• Inspirational Program & Concert from 6:00pm – 9:30pm
• Lights out at 10pm
Sunday, Dec 8th
• Light morning snacks available for purchase 6:00am-8:00am
• Walk the Rose Bowl at 6:30am (optional)
• Morning yoga by the stage at 7:00am (optional)
• Check-out until 9:00am
• Rose Bowl flea market open – requires paid ticket and moving your car to their lot.
What will happen at the event?
An inspiring program and concert will run from 6 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. that night. The goal of the program is to lift up the voices and experiences of people who have been homeless. Participants of local programs will share their personal experiences of homelessness. Other speakers and entertainers including Seth Green, Ellie Goulding, Randy Jackson and his All-Star Band and the legendary Ziggy Marley will round out the program! What else?
• Food vendors will be on-site for purchasing food and beverages in the evening and in the morning. Credit cards accepted
• Each participant will receive a Bivvy Bag which is a big orange survival bag for storing your sleeping bag in during the concert, so it doesn’t get wet and for sleeping in during the night
• Visit with the mighty local charities that are benefiting from the event. Enjoy a hot beverage provided by Get Together Foundation
• Most participants will be up at around sunrise, grabbing something to eat and heading out. Cars must be cleared from the event parking by 9:00 am. Gather near the front of the stage for morning yoga at 7am or to walk around the Rose Bowl at 6:30 am if you like! Or drive around the stadium to the Flea Market - separate ticket required
Why is a Sleep Out a meaningful way to end homelessness?
• The World’s Big Sleep Out is an act of solidarity and support, but we know that it will take much more than a one-time Sleep Out event to end homelessness
• The Institute of Global Homelessness (IGH) is proud to serve as the “legacy partner” to all Sleep Out cities, engaging with them after December 7 to offer IGH’s services to turn the energy and momentum of the event into long-term, meaningful action to end homelessness
• We have also worked to focus LA’s Sleep Out program on featuring the voices and experiences of people who have been homeless, so that event attendees will hear directly from those impacted and are called to further action
How can I make a donation to The World's Big Sleep Out?
Click here to make a donation.
Event Open Time
• Doors CLOSE 8:00pm - No admittance after this time
• Free parking lot will close at 9:00am on Sunday, 8th December 2019.
Show starts at 6:00pm.
How do I get there?
• Parking is off to the west of the bowl – look for event signs
• Free WBSO parking in lots 5A and 5B (park on the grass as directed) NOT in LOT K on the asphalt
• We recommend carpooling or using ride share services such as Lyft or Uber
What if it rains or the weather is bad?
• We expect moderate weather, especially compared to the many other cities where events are being held, like London!
• Unless there is an extreme weather event the WBSO event will go ahead (even if it’s cold or raining!)
• Our on-site event team will monitor and assess the weather and will only cancel in the event it is deemed dangerous to proceed
• There will be a Warming Tent where you can have a break and enjoy something warm to drink
Is there somewhere for lost property?
• Please hand in and reclaim all lost property at the Warming Tent
• The event accepts no responsibility for lost or stolen property
• All lost property items will be handed to Rose Bowl Lost and Found after the event
• If you have lost property queries after the event, please contact [email protected]
Can we leave outdoor kit behind?
• No. Please do not leave anything else behind after the event, if you do not want to keep it please take it home and consider donating to an organisation who could put it to use
• Please throw all your trash away in the bins provided and take all your belongings with you
Why is alcohol not permitted?
• Drinking alcohol will considerably increase the risk of people suffering from hypothermia at the event and as such we do not have permission to allow alcohol at this event
• In addition, we wish to be sympathetic towards alcohol and addiction issues within the homeless community by abstaining for the night
What is provided on site?
• Full sized bathrooms
• Free hot drinks throughout the whole event. Free hot drinks can be found in the Impact Village tent area where you can also meet all of the partner charities we are supporting.
• Warming stations
• Food vendors where you can buy hot, tasty street food
• Medical & welfare services for if you feel unwell
• Overnight Security
What if I need extra assistance to access?
• There will be an accessible entrance and accessible facilities on site
• Ticket check
• Bag Search
• Wristband issued
• Grab a bivvy bag. The bivvy bag is a big orange survival bag for storing your bag in during the concert so it doesn’t get wet and for sleeping in during the night.
• Directed to concert viewing and sleep zones.
Will there be a refund if any of the artists cancel?
• Tickets are for the charitable event and not for one specific artist.
• The promoter will strive to present the line-up as advertised, but the line-up of artists cannot be guaranteed. Should one or more artists cancel, the event will go ahead as normal. Refunds will not be given in these circumstances.
Will there be a refund if the event is cancelled?
• No tickets will be refunded and the proceeds will still go to the charities. If the event is cancelled, we will do our best to put on an alternative event within a reasonable timeframe.
When will I receive my ticket?
• You will receive your email ticket by 5th December 2019
Who can attend?
• Only participants who have pre-registered may attend with the ticket issued in their name
• Unfortunately, we will not be able to admit anyone without a ticket who hasn’t registered and it is not possible for participants to bring guests with them.
Will bags be checked? Is there Security?
• Participants will go through a security checkpoint with metal detectors and a full bag search before entering the event
• Rose Bowl Security will be present throughout the event. Emergency Medical Technicians will be onsite as well.